Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Proxy Post

This isn't me writing by our dear brother James ^^ ... bit annoyed at Church politics at this not being displayed so I'll jsut post it here xD

If there is one thing that NTE has impressed onto me, it is the sort of attitude we should have towards evangelism and the gospel. (For those who don’t know, NTE is a national conference for Christian university students) NTE’s theme this year was ‘Entrusted’- A word that describes the privilege and responsibilities associated our possession of the gospel. It was put to us that one attitude often taken towards gospel was similar to the servant who buries the money his master gives to him to invest (Mt 25:14-30). The question necessitated a look at my own attitude- was I burying the gospel underneath my own unwillingness to openly talk about Jesus with those I met?

My shortcoming in bringing the gospel to ‘all nations’ (Mt 28) were most likely linked to my fear of the consequences associated with publically talking about my personal Christianity. It is not like this anxiety was without merit- even without talking about serious persecution, the social hazards alone can be brutally obvious to anyone who has shared Jesus with their friends. However, throughout NTE the emphasis of the immeasurable value of the gospel forced me to look for answers on how to deal with my insecurity in sharing the gospel. Don Carson (main speaker of NTE) was left to answer my questions. Don talked about a lot of things, but what will stick with me for a long time (I suspect), is his answer to my questions.

In Don’s talks on 2 Timothy, he drew attention to Paul’s advice to Timothy to ‘fan into flame the gift of God’ (2 Tim 1:6). According to Paul, Timothy was to mark his ministry with passion and enthusiasm. To quote Paul himself, ‘For the Spirit God gave us does not make us timid, but gives us power…’ (2 Tim 1:7)- To me, Paul’s message to Timothy carried a surety that God would cover our flaws and shortcomings, if only we would just be bold in proclaiming His name. God would give to us a measure of His power, but we have to take the initiative.

It wasn’t that Paul promised Timothy that his ministry would be met with success at every instance. During our following mission to Maitland, I told more than one person that I was glad that the salvation of those I managed to talk to during our doorknocking was not dependent on my fractured efforts. Nor did it mean that the uneasiness I got every time before we knocked on a stranger’s door ever completely went away. But in the knowledge of the importance of my message, of what I wanted people to know about Jesus, the uncertainties which I had previously thought to be so impossible to overcome over time became background considerations.

Towards the end of one of his talks, Don said that the best method to preserve the gospel was to give it away. I am not so arrogant to think that my problems are by everyone (even you, appreciated reader). But if what you have just read has made question your own attitude towards the gospel, I ask- Are you burying the gospel?

James Kwan

No comments: