Monday, January 10, 2011

Idolatry

We read Psalm 23 yesterday in Bible study, and while we were reading it, I thought of these verses (but had no idea where it was in the Bible so I decided to keep my mouth shut and post it on here instead):
"But my people have exchanged their glorious God for worthless idols. My people have committed two sins: they have forsaken Me, the spring of living water, and have dug their own cisterns, broken cisterns that cannot hold water."
- Jeremiah 2:11,13

Do you see the difference between that and Psalm 23:1? "The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not be in want."

If God is our shepherd, we will never be lacking. He is the spring of living water; He quenches all our thirst. But if we look to earthly things, and worship other idols, it'll be like trying to fill up a tank with a hole in the bottom. If the hole is small, maybe some will hold for a while.. maybe we'll be satisfied for a while, but ultimately, we'll still be left with no water.

No comments: