Monday, January 25, 2010

Tipping = generous

So how many of you have heard/said/frequently said: "We're students, we're not expected to tip."? Yes? I'm guilty too. Because I'm stingy.

But I've been listening to Pastor Mark (dude from camp) and I've just been listening to this sermon: Trial - Submission to Authority (1 Pet 2:13-17). And... he's challenging me (and now you. Aren't I evil?) to be generous. I dunno, I never used to think of tipping as being generous to the people who've just served me food. And... if the service was bad, or the food was dodgy (like seriously dodgy --> NTE, lost boys?), I grumble like you've just taken Christmas away forever. Because I'm a whinger like that.

When we go out to dinner, we pray, yeah? And from then on, everyone in the restaurant who saw us praying knows that we're Christians. What type of witness are we giving if we're stingy grumblers who don't have a good word to say about anyone?

So I feel convicted. Very convicted. I need to be more generous and give a whole lot more grace than I've been doing. When I go out, it's not my right to have perfect food and big smiley service. As Pastor Mark says: "Oh, there was hair in your food? Well, we're hair in Jesus' food!". God has forgiven us so much more than any petty thing that could go wrong in a restaurant.

Let's be Christians next time we go out. Who's up for it?

3 comments:

aAanddrreewW said...

aww yeah I had to put up with peoples Grumbling at NTE =P Looks at George =O! It's like ritual lament thing, but food was a common topic in most conversations

when we go out we're also loud & annoying when we eat out =P which is pretty funny ^^

but what about that beggar on the street? in Sydney or China ?

so are you challenging me that I should tip even if the food is bad & it's bad service ?

george XIYUE huang said...

hmm interesting but i think in australia the cost for service is included with the food cost.

i can ask my chef friend how he prices food?

but still no excuse lol

vonbon said...

Pfft. I'm not saying pay for service, I'm saying be generous & gracious even when they don't deserve it. People still tip in Australia - ask Dionne if you doubt.