Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Names

I Came across Think Baby Names =P It's interesting looking at the meaning behind names
Correct me if I'm wrong =]

George means "farmer" Greek
Daniel means "God is my Judge" Hebrew
Mark means "dedicated to Mars" Latin
Yvonne means "yew" Old German & French (hahaha love the link sorry Von!)
Dorothea means "gift of God" Greek
Jessica means "He sees" Hebrew
Emily means "rival; laborious; eager" Latin
Timothy means "God's Honor" Greek
Rebecca means "to bind" Hebrew
Aaron means "mountain of strength" Hebrew
Naomi means "pleasant" Hebrew
Sebastian means"revered" Greek
Ian means "God is gracious" Scottish
James means "He who supplants" English
Abigail means "father of exaltation" Hebrew
Johann means "God's grace" Hebrew
Andrew means "Man; Warrior" Greek
Sherman means "shear man" English
Katrina is a shorten form of Katherine which means "pure" Greek
Gigi "shorten form of Georgina which is a feminine form of George" French
Apologies to Son which I looked up Sonny which means "Son" English

I thought having a Hebrew Name would Rock !
So I selected some cool looking ones in my opinion ;)

Barack means "Lightening; Blessing" Hebrew, Swahili, African Origin
Evan means "Rock" Hebrew, "God's grace" Scottish, "Young Worrier" Celtic, "Good Messenger" Greek (I particularly like the meaning behind this name )
Ethan means "Firmness, long-lived"
Gideon means "Powerful warrior; feller of trees" (I love this name)
Issachar means "his reward will come"
Jesse means "the Lord exists"
Obadiah means "servant of God"
Raphael means "healing God"
Reuel means "friend of God"
Samuel means "God heard; requested of God; God's Heart; God's name"
Shachar means "dawn; sunrise"
Shai means "gift"
Tobias means "God is good"
Tor means "Thunder; turtle-dove"
Uriah means "my light is Jehovah" (I think this one is second to Gideon)
Yaar means "forest"
Yakar means "precious"
Yusuf means "the Lord increases"
Zebediah means "gift of Jehovah"

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Um. Hi. I'm Dorothea. Nice to meet you.

vonbon said...

You mean the same as Nathan.

Linda said...

Your name is Dorothea?? wicked..
lol, love "vonbon" btw. awesome post, erm, "Man Warrior"!

george XIYUE huang said...

nah george means awesome-asian-power-i-love-wontons-boatman

vonbon said...

Or Huangface. :D

p.s. Thanks, Linda. :) Hsu-Ann calls me that. Do you know her? She and Hsu-Lynn get back from Europe next Wed, so you get to meet her if you haven't already!

vonbon said...

p.p.s. Did DC write that definition of yew? Because it sounds like something he would do. *cough*Von's laptop background*cough*

DcM said...

ohhh so that's what yew means..now THAT explains ALOT

Son said...

Hi Dots! I mean Dorothy! um... Dorothea! Dotdashdot...

haha, so Son means son =P In chinese (phonetically "Shun"), according to my dictionary, means: 1) in the direction of; along, 2) obey; yield to; act in submission to, 3)act at one's convenience, or 4) suit (not of the clothing kind)

Is that really the meaning of "yew"? haha, I thought it's a type of tree!