Wednesday, June 2, 2010

An article that I received in the mail

Hey guys, just thought I'll share with you an article I got in my mail. It's just a newsletter from my campus bible study back in UNSW, to keep me updated on things. Thought the article was encouraging -

"Note from Carl:

I met Joseph, a young guy of Eastern European background, at orientation week last year because his Muslim friend wanted to have an argument with me. Joseph and I met and chatted about Jesus twice after that and then I was heartbroken to hear that he had dropped out of university in about week 2. Can you imagine my surprise when I met him again in week 1 this year and he told me the story of what had happened in the previous year!"

Joseph’s Story

My family always called themselves Catholic but did not go to church or do anything religious; I had never even read the Bible. I more or less believed in the existence of God but I just never had an interest in him.

Less than a year ago my life pretty much fell apart. My two year relationship with my then-girlfriend Radha ended, and I was devastated. Radha was from a strict Hindu family that was very opposed to our relationship. After sneaking around for a long time we were open about our relationship and they used all kinds of emotional blackmail to force her to leave me. In the end she decided to listen to them.

My attitude to life completely changed. I went from having a high distinction average and being on the Dean’s list to dropping out of university. I didn’t know where to turn. My desire to find a purpose to my existence led me to search for God and, as the Bible promises, I got answers.

I decided to go to Campus Bible study (which is the equivalent “FOCUS” group in UNSW) where I met several Christians. They were so approachable and friendly. I met Carl a few times and he was always willing to talk and pray for me. He gave me a book to read: “A Fresh Start” by John Chapman.

I began reading and researching Christianity to make sure I wasn’t just being gullible because of my emotional state. Eventually I was convinced. Through a friend from high school I went to a church close to my home. It struck me how comfortable I immediately felt even though I was a stranger.

I have been committed to God for almost a year now. I have a personal yearning for God and a thirst to read his word, the Bible. I now have a purpose and a guaranteed future with God. As a result I have had an uncontrollable urge to tell people about him, and any of my friends and family can testify to that.

A few months ago, Radha contacted me after months of being apart. We started to talk again as friends. Naturally, our conversations revolved around God. I know she just wanted me to shut up sometimes, but that didn’t stop me in any way. Her attitude completely turned around through the changing power of Christ, and she committed her life to him. Our relationship also resumed, with both of us now living for God. That decision for Christ led to her family disowning her and that is one of the challenges we face together. We have recently married with the support and love of our wonderful Christian friends and I have started studying again.

God used our circumstances to lead both Radha and myself to a faith in Christ, giving us the gift of eternal salvation through his death on the cross, and has brought us together in a loving, Christian marriage. I am full of thanks to God.

**********************

I thought this part of the newsletter was quite encouraging for us, esp. now when we always talk about evangelism. A lot of times when I talk to some of you guys, we tend to think that some ways of evangelising aren’t effective or just extreme or stupid. But here we can see a simple example that every little bit we do counts. Here was the guy who wanted to argue. But by just having the contact point with a Christian, it lead to all this trail of things that happened which eventually lead him to Christ. Sometimes by just saying Jesus to someone may actually be prompted up in times of desperation or devastation as seen with Joseph. Instead of saying that doing walk up, advertising or Bible bashing is ineffective and then doing nothing about it, we should really be thinking of what we could do, regardless of effectiveness. Ultimately as Joseph said, it is the changing power of God that changes people’s hearts. We are just God’s vessels to do his work. It is God’s work and power that draws people to believe in him. So for us, instead of worrying about God’s part of work, i.e. the whether people will end up believing or not, we should start thinking about our work and what we should be doing.

It may be talking to every stranger you meet on the street about Jesus so that they will know who to turn to when they are in need. It may be directly talking with someone you have in mind and continue to pray and talk with this person. It may be to organise events, or go out and meet lots of new people so that you can have contact with strangers and build up a relationship. At least, we are doing something and this is done with a purpose in mind.

1 comment:

george XIYUE huang said...

lol i was tempted to sneak a peek at ur letter cos it was sitting on ur table. lol

but God told me to be patient :P